Since the 14th century, here on the south side of the Münsterplatz, the knights of Breisgau would convene at this meeting place of the “noble drinking society.”
In 1756, the knights’ president Ferdinand Sebastian von Sickingen-Hohenburg ordered the construction of the baroque building next to the Historisches Kaufhaus (Historical Merchants’ Hall). Just one year after its completion, the knights sold their association house to the provincial estates, who used it as a meeting place until 1806, after which it was transferred to the Grand Ducal court.
After the foundation of the Archdiocese of Freiburg, in 1832, Bernhard Boll became the first archbishop to move into the building, which was henceforth known as the "Erzbischöfliches Palais" (Archiepiscopal Palace), and continued to be used for this purpose until 1944. Following its complete destruction in the Second World War, the building was reconstructed according to a plan that respected the historical structure. The Baroque facade was retained – with the sole exception of the folding shutters.
Today, some 350 talented boys and girls practice in the famous Domsingschule (cathedral music school). The rooms of the Archiepiscopal Palace and its cathedral chapel are used as practice rooms and for music lessons.